This program begins JULY 1ST, 2022
Tuition Reimbursement Guidelines
- The applicant must be a member of a Delaware Volunteer Fire/EMS Company.
- The applicant must have a letter from the Fire Chief on company letterhead signifying that the applicant is an active member and has met all active requirements of the company.
- Reimbursement will be made for the cost of the tuition paid (not payments that were gifts, awards, or grants that do not require repayment) to a Delaware in-state college or university at the following rate:
- 100% for graduate studies
- 100% for undergraduate studies
- All courses are approved.
- Reimbursement will be limited to (2) classes per semester for undergraduate studies, and (1) class per semester for graduate studies.
- The total reimbursement will be capped at $2000.
- If an applicant attends an institution whose semesters are divided into more than one grading period will still be reimbursed at the previously mentioned rated per semester.
- Applicants will receive a notification of their acceptance or denial due to lack of funds.
- Applicants who are denied reimbursement due to lack of funds will have his application remain on file in the event that funds do become available.
- Once the course is completed, the applicant will file an Application for Reimbursement with the commission and attach a copy of the receipt for payment of tuition and a copy of their transcript documenting receiving a grade of at least a C or a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale for the course for which they are seeking reimbursement.
- The request for reimbursement shall be filed within thirty (30) days of completing of the course.
- An applicant who is denied reimbursement shall have the right to appeal. The appeal will be filed within thirty (30) days of denial to the Tuition Reimbursement Committee.
- Any applicant who resigns, is discharged from the volunteer fire company or does not maintain his/her active status will no longer be eligible to receive education benefits.
The Committee Shall consist of the following
- A Commissioner of the Delaware State Fire Preventions Commission
- The Executive Manager of the Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association
- A member of the fire service from Kent County, appointed by the President of the Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association
- A member of the fire service from New Castle County, appointed by the President of the Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association.
- A member of the fire service from Sussex County, appointed by the President of the Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association.
You may complete the online form below, or DOWNLOAD and complete the Tuition Reimbursement Form and submit it by email HERE within 30 days* of semester completion with the following documents:
- Active Member Letter from sponsoring organization Fire Chief (on Company letterhead)
- Copy of Delaware College or University Tuition Payment Receipt
- Copy of completed transcript with grades for classes being reimbursed
Be sure select “Yes” to attach the required documents when submitting the form online.
*NOTE: The time frame has been extended for the 2022 spring semester to be included outside the 30 time period for this time only. The deadline to submit any application during the spring semester outside of 30 days is July 31st, 2022.
Questions can be forwarded to Jeffrey N. Brown, Recruitment and Retention Coordinator, the State Fire Prevention Commission, or the State Volunteer Firefighters Association.